Resources for Pastors
Visit our resource hub to find all of the resources we offer church workers, schools, and congregations. (Resources are still being added.)
Church Worker Debt Retirement
Student Loan repayment grants will be available for rostered church workers each year.
Call Process and Documents
Information on PIF and SET forms, and what to do when you receive a call. Includes information on requesting and compensating supply / guest pastors.
We have a variety of resources available to help congregations, schools, and individuals reach out to their community. Visit our Outreach Resource Library for helpful downloads and links.
Church Worker Wellness
A variety of resources for church workers, including information on benefits, health care, counseling, financial wellness, and retirment planning.
The Partnership Project
Thinking about, planning, or implementing a congregational partnership? The Partnership Project offers a variety of resources, including Bible studies, checklists, models, assessment tools, and sample documents, designed to help you work through the process.
Below you will find documents and links to assist you in your work. If you would like to submit a document or link for consideration in this archive, please contact President Snow at firstname.lastname@example.org with the material or link.
Spring 2023 Pastors' Conference Materials
Monday presentation slides (Session 1 and Session 2) and handouts (Discussion 1 and Discussion 2) by Rev. Dr. John Genter
Tuesday presentation slides by Rev. Dr. Chuck Blanco are available by request. Email him at email@example.com to receive the file.
Fall 2022 Pastors' Conference Videos and Materials
Session 1: Rationale and Intro—Nebraska District President Rev. Richard Snow
Session 1: Rationale and Intro VIDEO HERE
Sessions 2, 3, 4: With All Your Mind, With All Your Heart, With All Your Strength—Rev. Dr. Justin Hannemann, Nebraska District Church Worker Care
Session 2: With All Your Mind VIDEO HERE
Session 3: With All Your Heart VIDEO HERE
Session 4: With All Your Strength VIDEO HERE
Book recommendations: The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self, Carl Trueman; Strange New World, Carl Trueman; You Are What You Love, James K.A. Smith; Wonderfully Made: A Protestant Theology of the Body, John W. Kleinig; The Body Keeps the Score, Bessell van der Kolk
Session 5: With All Your Soul—Nebraska District President Rev. Richard Snow
Session 5 VIDEO HERE
Session 6: And Your Neighbor As Yourself—Rev. Lonnie Jacobsen, Nebraska District Mission and Ministry Executive
Session 6 VIDEO HERE
Book recommendation: When Helping Hurts: How to Alleviate Poverty Without Hurting the Poor . . . and Yourself, Steve Corbett and Brian Fikkert
Handout packet with discussion questions available HERE
Sign up the students in your congregation for campus ministry AT THIS LINK
Spring 2022 Pastors’ Conference Videos and Materials
- Pre-conference reading material from Dr. Middendorf
- Discussion questions handout
- Dr. Middendorf’s PowerPoint decks: session 1 / session 2 / session 3 / session 4
- Video: Mike “the Meteorologist” Middendorf Explains the Bible Bow-Tie
- Conference videos (available the week after the conference)
Spring 2021 Pastors’ Conference Videos and Materials
- Click here to download the conference packet
- Monday morning intro and keynote (vita vocationis)
- Monday morning Q&A
- Monday afternoon intro and keynote (vita contemplativa)
- Monday afternoon Q&A
- District President’s report
- Tuesday morning intro and keynote (vita passiva)
- Tuesday morning Q&A
- Tuesday afternoon keynote (vita sabbati)
- Tuesday afternoon Q&A
- Tuesday afternoon intro to the “What Does This Mean? Moving Towards Action” working session and conference closing
- Resources and quotes from the presentations
Dr. Biermann suggests reading, Pieper, Josef. Leisure: The Basis of Culture. San Francisco: Ignatius, 1963. Available for $15 on Amazon.
Fall 2020 Pastors' Conference Videos and Materials
- Keynote 1, The Christlike Life
- Keynote 2, Life in the Desert
- Keynote 3, The Way of Devotion
- Keynote 4, The Way of Hospitality
- PowerPoint slides: Keynote 1 • Keynote 2 • Keynote 3 • Keynote 4
- Handouts packet with discussion questions and Bible studies
- Purchase Rev. Dr. Sanchez’s book Sculptor Spirit: Discerning the Holy Spirit’s Work in Jesus and His Followers at this link
Fall 2019 Pastors' Conference Videos and Materials
- Session 1, The Need for Pastoral Self Care: https://vimeo.com/365633362
- Session 2: Session 2 is unavailable due to equipment failure
- Session 3, Receptive Prayer for Spiritual Empowerment: https://vimeo.com/365804037
- Session 4, Attention to the Conscience for Spiritual Self Evaluation: https://vimeo.com/365846391
- Session 5, Attention to Vigilance for Spiritual Protection: https://vimeo.com/365846905
Dr. Kleinig’s paper “Attention to Pastoral Self Care” (handed out at the conference) can be downloaded by clicking here. Learn more about Doxology at their website: https://www.doxology.us/
Active Shooter Response Plans
We encourage congregations interested in security plans to make use of the following online resources provided by the LCMS Security Officer at Synod headquarters:
The Synod recommends that congregations work with their local law enforcement to put a plan into place that works for the congregation and for the local agency.
Chief Doctrines in the Lectionary
Click here to view or download Chief Doctrines in the Lectionary document. This document is a plan for preaching on the chief doctrines of the Church according to the texts of the One Year lectionary. Using this plan as a guide, a preacher could, in service of his task to preach the “whole counsel of God,” treat on all major doctrinal topics over the course of a year of preaching. It is unknown who originally put it together (we do not know what E.L.A. stands for), but it was translated by Rev. David Juhl for the good of the church.
Resources on our liturgical heritage
- Kinnaman, S. A., & Kirchhoff, A. (2006). Worshiping with angels and archangels: an introduction to the Divine Service. Saint Louis: Concordia Pub. House.
- LCMS Kids in the Divine Service: General information bulletin inserts. (2017, May 16). Retrieved October 09, 2017, from https://blogs.lcms.org/2017/kids-in-the-divine-service-general-information
- Just, A. Liturgy [Video series]. http://www.lutheranvisuals.com/Store/liturgy.html
- Mize, G. M., & Porter, R. W. (2017). My little ABC liturgy book. Bangor: Grail Quest Books.
- Nagel, N. (1993). Whose Liturgy Is It? Logia, II(2), 4-8.
- Pless, J. T. (2013). Didache. Fort Wayne, IN: Emmanuel Press. pages 50-54
- Vieker, J. D. (2017, September). Distinctly Lutheran Worship. For the Life of the World, 21(3), 4-6.
Preach the Word Initiative
Synod’s Preach the Word initiative: Preach the Word (PTW) will help pastors work together to improve their preaching through video modules with accompanying resources and by interacting with seminary professors and fellow preachers.
Pastors can gather with brother pastors to watch and discuss the modules. The power of the Lutheran Reformation was the Word of God. Pastors may commemorate the 500th anniversary of the Reformation by honing their vocation of proclaiming the Gospel.
Click on the link above for access to resources including discussion guides and videos, and to see how the program is meant to be carried out.
Contemporary Arrangement of Liturgy
From President Snow: “If your congregation is perhaps interested in a new setting for the Lord’s Supper using keyboard and guitar, here is one written by James Jurchen, former music teacher at Lutheran High Northeast, that we used regularly at St. John, Battle Creek, NE. The recording and liturgist aren’t top notch, but good enough for you to get the idea.”